Welcome back! I hope everyone enjoyed their break! I was happy to see all my little friends again today and hear about their adventures during the break.
This week in class we will be finishing up our writing focus of “descriptive writing”. Students have been doing an excellent job of describing using adjectives to give a visual image to the reader. Using our senses to describe something has been very helpful to bump up their writing! We have been looking at the characteristics of a Descriptive Paragraph and trying to include these in our writing.
* It must have a “one thing only” topic – the person, place, or thing being described.
* The opening sentence tells what is being described in a way that invites your readers to read on.
* Each developmental sentence should add adjectives, adverbs, strong verbs, and specific nouns.
* The closing sentence should not add details; it sums up the whole word picture.
Later in the week, I will be introducing our new focus of narrative writing (writing stories).
In Math, we will be finishing up our unit on Money and they will be given their assessment in class on Wednesday. This will not be a written test, but rather an assignment to complete in class. We will be moving on to linear measurement / Mass and Capacity!
Here are the agenda messages for the week:
Monday, March 18th, 2013
* read 20 minutes and record in your agenda each night
* keep up your reading to “heat things up” !
* Happy Birthday Greg !
Tuesday, March 19th, 2013
* gym – please come dressed for active participation
* homework: Math – money worksheet
Wednesday, March 20th, 2013
* Popcorn sales – break #2
Thursday, March 21st, 2013
* Math homework
Friday, March 22nd, 2013
* Gym – please dress appropriately
* Happy Birthday Ben!